Tuesday 24 September 2013

Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette - review and swatches

I wasn't going to do a review of this palette, because I didn't think it would be anything special. However, I love this palette so much, and even though reviews of it are probably overdone, I wanted to give my two cents because I really have fallen in love with this palette!


Like I said, I bought this palette thinking it wouldn't be anything special. I love Urban Decay, and I couldn't pass up being at an Urban Decay counter and not pick up a palette! I didn't touch this while I was in England, but when I came back home and first used it, I fell in love. It was love at first sight.


There are six shadows in this palette. One satin shade, Venus, which serves as a highlight. The rest are matte. Foxy is a repeat from the Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette, which I wasn't thrilled about. But mixed with Walk of Shame (W.O.S), they form a perfect shade for blending out harsh edges, especially with a day time look. Naked 2 and Faint are good crease colours, and Crave is a nice black (not as pigmented as Blackout, though). 

The one thing I will say about this palette (especially with Foxy, W.O.S and Naked 2) is that the colours are quite chalky. You run your brush through the shades, and it is quite powdery. A lot of product is wasted like this. I have noticed before that with the matte eyeshadows I have from various other Urban Decay palettes, they are not as pigmented as the shimmery ones (think Buck and Naked from the original Naked palette). These ones are fairly pigmented, but they are a little chalky. I work with it though. 


So why do I love this palette so much? 
This palette is what it is called - basic. There is nothing too fancy or special about this palette, but I find it the most universal palette I own. It is complimentary to every other palette I have, and even single eyeshadows. Need a subtle blending colour - bam, you have it. Need a crease colour - it's here, and you have two options. Need a black eyeshadow to subtly line your lash line - yeah, it's here as well. And there's even a nice highlight shade that isn't too shimmery! This palette is so simple, but so wonderful. If there was one palette I'd recommend to anyone, it's this. You can do a simple, day-time eye look with this. You can even amp it up for night time. But whatever eyeshadows you may already own, this will just enhance the looks you can create with it. I still can't believe how much I love this palette, because it really is basic. 

And that's my review of this palette! I hope this has helped some of you who are questioning whether you need this palette or not. Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment