Sunday 22 September 2013

MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation - review and swatches

In the coming weeks, I will have a post coming up on the three MAC foundations I own, comparing them. For now, I want do to a review of the recent MAC foundation I bought, Studio Sculpt. MAC describes this foundation as "a creamy, luxurious, gel-based foundation that provides medium buildable to high coverage with a natural satin finish. Hydrating, instantly revitalises the skin while keeping it looking smooth, soft and plush. Long-wearing, water resistant".


The first thing I want to note is that this foundation comes with 40 mL of product, where most other MAC foundations (Studio Fix Fluid, Mineralize Moisture, Pro Longwear) come with 30 mL (Matchmaster comes with 35 mL). This foundation retails for $52 in Australia, which is the roundabout price for MAC foundations in Australia (they range from about $49-$60 in Australia). Next to Face and Body, which contains 120 mL for $60 (or 50 mL for $49) this is the best value for money you will get with MAC foundations. 

Now on to the actual product!


The reviews of this particular foundation said Studio Sculpt leaned a bit more yellow, and I was matched to NW20. I find this foundation works, but if I was to repurchase this I would go probably go for NC20. I still have the concern of oxidising on my mind, and I find the yellow cancels out a lot of the redness on my face, and overall just works better.

The foundation comes in what I think is rather fool-proof packaging. It's a plastic tube, so it is ideal for travelling. The product dispersal is not too much, and rather easy to control. Unlike both the other MAC foundations I own, which are in glass packaging, if I was to drop this on tiled floor it wouldn't shatter.

The consistency of this foundation is thick. It is gel based, but it is unlike my Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum (which is also a gel-based foundation). The Bourjois is quite liquidy, but also lighter coverage. This foundation is really thick. I've found the best way of applying this is first with any traditional foundation paddle brush, and just place the foundation all over. Then take a buffing brush, and brush it in. If some places look too heavy, then grab a sponge (I use one by Manicure that has been like a best friend to me), damp it and pat on the skin.


So what's the coverage like?


(The above product slightly blended out - you can see the foundation is quite thick)


I find it medium coverage. You can see in the above photo that it doesn't cover my freckles, but it has covered the pimples I have on my chin and on the forehead. It covers redness well also. I have quite dry skin, so I only ever use powder under my eyes. I think if you were to top this with powder, the coverage could be quite flawless. I may try that at some point closer to summer when my skin isn't as dry.

Overall, I'm really happy with this foundation. It has been on my to-buy list for a while. It is a thick foundation, so I'd probably get more use of this in winter. If you're after a nice medium coverage foundation, I'd recommend this and Studio Fix. I prefer the way this one applies, though.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment