Friday 3 June 2016

Kat Von D Monarch Palette - review and swatches

This is the first Kat Von D product I have tried. This was purchased in store at Sephora for $65 AUD. Out of all the Kat Von D palettes, this one is the warm-toned palette. 






The palette features twelve shades in a variety of finishes. 


(L to R: Entomology, Wrath, Papilio, Summerfly)

Entomology is a matte, yellow cream shade. From the swatch, you can see the shadow is a bit chalky, but does have good pigmentation. I tend to use this shadow to set my base before applying any other shadow. 
Wrath is a satin burnt orange. This shadow has slight shimmer in it, but I would describe the finish as a satin-matte. I find this shadow is great to warm up the crease - even though it has a slight shimmer, this does not transfer all too much when used like this. 
Papilla is a pearl bronze. This shadow is lovely and super pigmented, and has a frosted finish.
Summerfly is a gold. It is one of the more chunky shades in the palette, because it does have glitter. The shadow does have great pigmentation. 


(L to R: Telepathy, Killing Jar, Delaney, Vanish)

Telepathy is a light, "pearl gold". This shade has a frosty, metallic finish, and is one of the best performing shadows in the palette. This shadow is a lovely all-over lid colour. 
Killing Jar is described as a "pearl copper". To me, this shadow comes off as a rose gold - but it is definitely beautiful. The pigmentation on this shadow is great.
Delaney is a "pearl silver". This is another shadow, like Summerfly, that is more on the chunky side. It is quite a unique silver to my collection, and more wearable than a traditional silver. The pigmentation on this shadow is good, and it is quite blendable. 
Vanish is a medium, warm taupe. To me, this shade is quite interesting - and I can't say I have anything quite like this in my collection. This does work well as a crease shade.   


(L to R: Tiny Death, Disintegration, Shadow Box, Deadhead)

Tiny Death is a "glitter cream". In all honesty, this is the most disappointing shadow in the palette. There is glitter in this shadow when you look at it in the pan, but this does not transfer much on the eye. The shadow does not swatch cohesively. 
Disintegration is a "pearl brown". It is a dark bronze with a shimmer finish. This shadow reminds me a bit of Urban Decay Smog (which is my all time favourite eyeshadow), so this shadow is on my favourite list. This shadow swatches quite pigmented, and applies nicely on the lid.  
Shadow Box is a matte chocolate brown. This shadow, and the following, Deadhead, are not super pigmented, but for dark shadows like this - I don't think it is a bad thing at all. It does swatch and feel a bit dry, but works well for deepening eye shadow looks. 
Deadhead is a "matte black". The shadow is dry and not super pigmented. As it is a black shadow - this isn't the most disappointing thing. This shadow works well for deepening eye shadow looks, and setting liner. 

Overall, I am really impressed with this palette. The shimmery shades are the most impressive - Summerfly, Telepathy and Delaney are my personal favourites. From what I have read, the Kat Von D palettes are set up as three quads in a bigger palette - like I have swatched the shadows in three lots. Each swatch post is one quad. But of course, the shadows all work well together. 

I have read on beauty blogs that this palette has been discontinued, so if you were interested - and love warm tones - I would recommend picking this up while you still can. I'm happy I gave this palette a go (and am excited to try other Kat Von D Palettes). 

Thanks for reading,
X

No comments:

Post a Comment