Tuesday 14 January 2014

OPI Liquid Sand - review and swatches

Today I have a review of the OPI Liquid Sand nail polish. A while ago I bought a set of four mini Liquid Sand polishes from the Mariah Carey collection. I was really only sold on one from the set (Get Your Number). Last week I purchased a few more Liquid Sand polishes, so I thought I'd do a review on each polish I own in my collection.


Liquid Sand is described as a textured matte finish nail polish. Because of this, a top coat is not recommended, but I find a little top coat doesn't change the appearance all too much. This is personal preference though, and up to you if you want to use a top coat or not!

I have found that the bottles tend to dry out quicker than traditional nail polishes - especially the mini bottles. 

For the purpose of this review, the swatches below are of 2 coats of polish without a top coat.


(Swatches with no flash; L to R: Honey Ryder, Jinx, Get Your Number, Can't Let Go, Stay The Night, Kiss Me At Midnight, It's Frosty Outside, The Impossible) 


(Swatches with flash)

Honey Ryder is a gold. The texture of this polish is like sand, but unlike the majority of Liquid Sand polishes, this has no chunky glitter throughout. It is more finely milled than those with junky glitters, but definitely has the texture of sand. 
Jinx is one of the newer polishes to my collection. I absolutely adore this colour, it screams summer. It is a coral red/orange, and like Honey Ryder, is more finely milled with no glitter chunks. This one has gold shimmer. This is the one I'd recommend if you wanted to try out Liquid Sand - one of my favourite polishes at the moment. 
Get Your Number is another one of my favourites. The consistency of this polish is more jelly like, and I find that you need at least three coats for full opacity. It is full of holographic glitters, and looks stunning in sunlight!
Can't Let Go is a dark purple. This one is full of glitters and some bigger sized glitters - much more different in appearance to Honey Ryder and Jinx, which feature no glitter. 
Stay The Night is a black base with red glitters. This isn't as chunky as some of the other polishes, but definitely a lovely polish and looks more matte than the other polishes.  
Kiss Me At Midnight is a really pretty shade and reminds me a lot of OPI Last Friday Night, just in Liquid Sand form (see dupe post of Last Friday Night here). This one has silver glitter throughout it.
It's Frosty Outside is a silver. It has silver glitter throughout, but because it is the same colour, the glitter is not as noticeable as some of the other shades. 
The Impossible is a reddish pink with holographic micro glitters and bigger glitters. This isn't a favourite polish of mine, as I'm not the biggest pink fan, but it is a lovely shade. 

I really do like the OPI Liquid Sand nail polishes. I adore glittery nail polishes, so these were going to be a like for me from the beginning. If you love glitter polishes, I'd recommend picking up one colour and giving it a go - or purchase a set of the minis to test out (just be careful, these will dry out quickly). Even if you aren't much of a glitter fan but love doing accent nails, one of these polishes would really amp up an accent nail. These types of polishes are described as a matte, but the presence of glitter or shimmer doesn't make it super matte. Stay The Night looks the most matte out of the ones in my collection. These polishes last well on the nails, and like most glitters, unfortunately are not the easiest to get off. But a little acetone and rubbing and they get off relatively easily. 


(Here's the mani I was recently wearing, Jinx and Honey Ryder)

And that's my review of the OPI Liquid Sand polishes. Thanks for reading, and if you have any other suggestions of posts you'd like to see - let me know below! X

No comments:

Post a Comment