Sunday 29 December 2013

MAC Mineralize Skinfinish - review and swatches

Anyone who has watched beauty videos on Youtube has probably heard the hype surrounding the MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft and Gentle. I fell into this hype, and although it is a lovely product, I don't find myself reaching for it all too often. Since then, I have also received another Mineralize Skinfinish - this one in Petticoat - which sadly is discontinued, but I am happy to add to my collection and use for this review of MAC Mineralize Skinfinishes.




The MAC website describes the Mineralize Skinfinish as "a luxurious velvet-soft powder with high-frost metallic finish. Smoothes on: adds buffed-up highlights to cheeks, or an overall ultra-deluxe polish to the face". 


Soft and Gentle is a champagne shade, whereas Petticoat is a darker pink colour. The veining in Petticoat is much more evident, and it is a darker raspberry colour when swatched in these areas. 


Soft and Gentle on the left; Petticoat on the right - heavily swatched 


Soft and Gentle on the left; Petticoat on the right - blended out


Above I've used Petticoat as a blush and Soft and Gentle as a highlight. Both Mineralize Skinfinishes add extreme luminosity and look lovely in photography, but I sincerely do not recommend using two - one as a blush (which is already a highlighting blush) and one as a highlighter on top - as the result will be a shimmering disco ball (unless you want that, but the thought of glitter all over my face is not the look I tend to go for)!

So what are my thoughts on the two Mineralize Skinfinishes I own?

I really wanted to love Soft and Gentle, but it's not my favourite highlighter. On a night out, it works well, but I notice chunks of glitter on my face when I use it, and the last thing I want to see is glitter on my face (only on my eyes, preferably). In photography, however, the result is lovely and I'd recommend using a product like this when you are going to be photographed.

Petticoat is a lovely product, but on my skin I can only imagine using it as a blush, and it is quite shimmery and glittery. On darker skin tones, I'd imagine this to be an absolutely gorgeous blush and even a highlighter, and I'm happy to add this product to my kit.   

On my wish list, I have Lightscapade, and once I cross that off I think I'm done with the world of Mineralize Skinfinishes! The products photograph lovely, but unless you want an extremely noticeable highlight outside of photography, there are highlighters that are less noticeable - cream or liquid highlighters might be preferable to powder ones. I have used Soft and Gentle as an eyeshadow before, and it is a lovely champagne shade for the lids, so the products can be multitasking. They just aren't my favourite products, and I believe a little over-hyped in the beauty community.

That's my review for the MAC Mineralize Skinfinishes. What are your thoughts on them? And if you haven't, please follow me on Bloglovin'

No comments:

Post a Comment