Saturday 26 September 2015

SauceBox Batalash Palette - review and swatches

If you have been a reader of my blog for some time, you could probably guess that eye shadow palettes are my absolute favourite type of makeup item. Whenever new items/collections are released, I go straight to the eye palettes. I'm sure I own more than I will ever use, but that won't stop me from purchasing more. Enter the Batalash Palette. This was released earlier this year, and at first I convinced myself I didn't need it. SauceBox shadows are definitely up there in terms of quality and pigmentation. Then it was sold out with the Australian online retailer Lipstick Republic, and I saw myself heading over to the American site. With the current exchange rate and shipping, the cost would have been over $100. I couldn't justify spending $100. Then about two months ago, the SauceBox website was having a sale on this palette, which was the perfect opportunity for me. With the discount, the price was the same as if I had purchased it from the Australian retailer. You can obviously see my train of thought here. Only once the palette was sold out, did I realise I "needed" this in my collection. After much rambling, on to my review of the SauceBox Batalash Palette!



This palette contains eight eyeshadows - four mattes and four shimmer/metallics




Vanilla is a matte white. This shadow is probably the least pigmented and the only disappointing shadow I find in the palette. This one is not opaque which is disappointing. However, I do like mixing it with the next shadow, Winter Brown, to blend out eyeshadows in the crease and I find it works great like this. Winter Brown is a cool-toned light-medium brown. The name is very fitting for this shade and this works great as a transition shade.  This shadow has great pigmentation. Cinnamon is a matte warm orange brown.  Another great transition shade for those who love warm shades in the crease. Lace Noir is a matte black. This isn't the most pigmented matte black in my collection, but the inclusion of a matte black is essential, in my opinion, to a great all-round palette. 

Pigmentation and blendability with the matte shadows is better with Winter Brown and Cinnamon, but the inclusion of Vanilla, a white, and Lace Noir, a black, is a great inclusion in this palette and I definitely appreciate it. 


Enigma is a burnt orange shimmer. This shadow is definitely the main shadow that appealed to me in this palette - I don't have anything like it in my collection. Electro is a chartreuse, almost mustard toned, yellow shimmer. Like Enigma, this shadow isn't something I really have in my collection and a great addition in this palette. Popper is an aqua blue/teal shimmer. This shadow is not as metallic/shimmery as the others in this palette, but still a beautiful shade. Nova is a burgundy/purple with shimmer. I have shades like this in my collection, but not this pigmented. It looks more purple in the pan but once swatched and applied on the lids, the red undertone definitely comes out. This shadow is also a great shadow to apply to the bottom lash line. 

The pigmentation in all four of these shadows is consistent, with Popper being the only shadow that is not as metallic as the other three. The pigmentation is great, however, so this doesn't bother me.  

SauceBox shadow pans are huge and contain 4g of product each - highly unlikely I will ever actually finish a pan. The consistency of the shadows is similar to the other two palettes I own - Temptation and Creme De La Creme. The palette has a cardboard packaging and a nice sized mirror is included, which is always a plus. The pans can also be removed and are magnetic, making it a great palette for travel. Should you only want to take 3 out of the 8 shadows with you, you can easily do this with a Z-Palette. 

Even if you have never heard of Batalash, I would still suggest considering picking up this palette if the shadows appeal to you. The combination of neutral mattes and colourful shimmers means you can create a variety of look, and some of the shadows are unique, meaning even if you are an avid eyeshadow lover and hoarder, you won't have some of these shadows in your collection. 

This palette is no longer available on the SauceBox website, but can still be purchased through Lipstick Republic. From Lipstick Republic, this palette can be purchased for $79AUD. 

Thanks for reading,
X

No comments:

Post a Comment