Thursday 17 October 2013

Benefit Cabana Glama - review and swatches

I received this kit from a friend for my birthday in July. I love how my friends know me! I did a review on the Bronze of Champions kit I bought when I was coming back from England (see post here), and I think these kinds of kits are perfect as you get to try out different products from Benefit - especially in Australia where the prices are expensive. I already know I will be repurchasing Watts Up and They're Real when I run out of the mini sizes (from the Bronze of Champions kit), because they are awesome products! Both are making it to holy grail status. I also would repurchase Hoola, but I've got another Hoola bronzer in this kit so I don't think I'll be running out anytime soon! 




This kit, like the Bronze of Champions, is aimed at a nice summer tan. This kit features the Some Kind of Gorgeous Foundation, Hoola bronzer, three Benefit eyeshadows - which is awesome! (there was only one in the Bronze of Champions), two brushes and Posie Tint. 


The Some Kind of Gorgeous foundation is in the second shade (Medium), which I feared was too dark for me. However, when it is buffed into the skin it works well (which you'll hopefully be able to see in the photos below). The only problem I have is the smell of the foundation... it's not a pleasant smell at all. This is a light coverage foundation. It is a little dark for me, but because it is so lightweight and blendable, it blends okay into my skin. 


When heavily swatched, the foundation looks way too dark and orange for me. When blended out, it matches much better, although is just a tad too dark at the moment. It is a light coverage foundation, so perfect for days you don't want to wear much foundation, or in the summer. I probably would wear this in the summer when I'm a little darker, but the smell of the product is what turns me off. 


I applied the foundation all over my arm, and it hardly had an effect on blurring out my tattoo. This is a very light coverage foundation. 


The Hoola bronzer is an awesome contour shade. The Hoola bronzer in this kit looks bigger than the one in the Bronze of Champions kit, which makes me very happy! The brush it comes with also isn't too bad, and is really good at blending out the product. 


I have a light complexion, and a heavy swatch of Hoola on my arm appears very muddy. However, when blended out (which I've done next to it using the brush included in the Cabana Glama kit) it is quite blendable and matches my skin tone much better. 

The three eyeshadows are all shimmery, flattering summer shades. They are fairly pigmented, although the two brown shades (Bronze Buzz and Cocoa Pizzazz) are quite similar when swatched, as can be seen below. I'm not the biggest fan of pink, but Peach Fuzz has a nice combination of pink and gold and on my lids (as shown in the pictures at the end of the post) Peach Fuzz came off more golden than pink, especially when combined with Bronze Buzz. 


(The three eyeshadows in the kit in placement order - Peach Fuzz, Bronze Buzz and Cocoa Pizzazz)


Posie Tint is an interesting product. This is a legit stain, it would not come off with a makeup remover wipe once I swatched it and took photos of it on my arm - which didn't take more than two minutes! It works extremely well as a stain, but I'm not the biggest fan of pinks. It looks nice on the lips, but is a little drying. Definitely need to scrub and moisturise your lips before using this product. 



Above is after I wiped the swatches with a makeup remover wipe


This is the look I came up with using the three eyeshadows in the kit - Peach Fuzz and Bronze Buzz mixed together on the lid, and Cocoa Pizzazz in the crease. I used the Some Kind of Gorgeous Foundation, Hoola as a contour shade/bronzer, and Posie Tint on my lips and cheeks. 

Thanks for reading my review! I highly recommend Benefit kits like this, as it is a good way to try out different kinds of products all in one go.

No comments:

Post a Comment